August is a significant month for White Oaks Mall this year, not only because it is the start of the back-to-school season, but it is also the mall's 40th anniversary. To celebrate, White Oaks Mall is throwing an unforgettable back-to-school event on Saturday, August 19th from noon-3 p.m. This free event includes live music, snacks, a rock painting craft, fashion show, school bus safety, games, balloon animals, free haircuts and a "stuff the bus" initiative to benefit the more than 700 homeless children in District 186.
From noon through 3 p.m. that Saturday, August 19th, children and families are invited to join in all the fun at the Lower Level Macy's Wing, where there will be plenty of entertainment and activities for the whole family, including:
· First Student School Bus Safety Demonstration with the Safety Dog Mascot – Located at the outside entrance of the Lower Level Macy's Wing, the Safety Dog mascot, alongside First Student, will be handing out prizes and giveaways as the organization talks to children and families about school bus safety on a full-size First Student bus.
· Live Music – Catch a performance by the Mike Burnett Band.
· Entertainment – Enjoy rock painting, balloon animals, snacks and a prize wheel with goodies and Macy's coupons, brought to you by local artist Christy Stark, of Christy! Studios inside White Oaks Mall.
· Fashion Show – At 1 p.m., Macy's will be hosting a fashion show, featuring local foster children as models, showing off the hottest back-to-school fashions for the 2017 season. At 1:30 p.m., models wearing looks from The Buckle will be taking the stage for the next generation in back-to-school fashion for men and women.
· Free haircuts – White Oaks Mall's barbershop, All Star Kutz, will be providing free haircuts for kids in-store from noon-3 p.m.
· Promotions at the Mall – Look for special BTS promotions, sales, coupons and even 40th anniversary-themed specials throughout participating stores in the mall.
· "Stuff the Bus" Donations for The Matthew Project, benefitting the 700+ homeless children in District 186 – Guests are encouraged to bring or purchase "emergency items" from stores at the mall, such as underwear, socks, t-shirts, jeans, hoodies (all clothing in sizes 5-16), backpacks, small blankets or pillows—and even pencil cases, or small personal hygiene items. Other ideas for the children include pull-top healthy snacks, various "basic necessity" items—such as Kleenex boxes, Ziploc bags, bus tokens or passes, small totes, school supplies, Pop Tarts, etc. All items collected will be donated to The Matthew Project, an organization that provides clothing, food, tutoring, mentoring and life skills classes to District 186 homeless children. Items must be new, with tags, and can be dropped off prior to the event at the Mall Management office on the Upper Level behind the food court. On the day of the event, First Student will be providing a mini bus to "Stuff the Bus" for the children.
· Partners – The Kreative Lounge, GlowGolf, Battle Orbs, All Stark Kutz, Christy! Studios, Bless It Beauty Salon, Macy's, The Buckle, Carpenter's Local 270 - Carpenter's In Action Team, Local Author Carla Mayernick, The AL Express and First Student
"When I think about what the mall means to Central Illinois, as we approach our 40th anniversary, it's a sense of community," said Sophia Piersma, Director of Marketing and Business Development at White Oaks Mall. "We're celebrating the back-to-school season with an incredible event for families, which is also a chance to be able to give back to the community, who has supported us for 40 years."
For more information about White Oaks Mall's upcoming 40th anniversary and back-to-school celebration, call (217) 787-0110 or visit www.simon.com/mall/white-oaks-mall.